Alleged Montreal Mafia leader Francesco Del Balso is back in prison.
In January, Del Balso was granted conditional release on the lengthy sentence he is serving, despite having admitted only a month earlier that he threatened a reporter.
On Tuesday, Correctional Services Canada said Del Balso is now behind bars, though it would not confirm media reports that his statutory release was revoked because he was on Montreal Island, violating a condition.
Correctional Services said Del Balso’s sentence expires in just over two weeks — on Nov. 14.
He is serving the 11-year sentence he was given in October 2008, after he pleaded guilty to cocaine smuggling and a gangsterism charge related to how he acted as a leader in the Rizzuto organization between 2002 and 2006.
Del Balso’s previous conditional release was suspended in December 2018 after he was arrested for threatening the life of Félix Séguin, a TVA reporter. Séguin had reported a story alleging that Del Balso was extorting protection money from restaurant owners in Quebec City.
Del Balso was upset over how the report included details on where he lived.